Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner -->

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

How Bad Is The Red Sox Catcher Situation?


I think even the most biased Red Sox fans knew there was going to be problems behind the plate. Yet, I don't know if we knew it was going to be this bad. Tek is what he is, he calls a good game, but that's about it. At this point in his career he can't throw anyone out, or hit (let alone play everyday). Salty was supposed to be the future, but his defense looks worse the Teks. On top of that I don't know if these pitchers trust him, or like the way he calls games. I am not putting the pitchers problems just on his shoulders, but when everyone and their mother and stealing bases on him it adds a lot of pressure.

On top of Salty's struggles behind the plate he also isn't doing anything in the batters box either. Right now he is hitting .194, and although he has been hitting better of late he is not someone I trust to be consistent at all. My biggest concern is his relationship with the pitchers, and his ability to control base stealing, because this lineup (on paper) is good enough to take a shitty hitting catcher.

ESPN throws out the rumor that the Sox could make a move and get Ivan Rodriguez, who is getting less playing time with the Nationals. For once I agree with DP and I am all for it. He doesn't hit much anymore, but he throws out about 35% of the runners that steal on him and when you compare that to Salty (usually around 24%), and Tek (20%).

The Sox have so many problem right now (Crawford, bullpen, starting pitching, clutch hitting) that this isn't my main concern, but out of all their problems it's the one I don't see improving.

No comments:

Post a Comment