Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner -->

Monday, November 24, 2008

Red Sox Offer Varitek Contract


The Red Sox have offered Varitek a contract, but I don't think Tek or Boras will be very happy with it. The Sox offered him only a one year deal (thank God). Rumors were going around that Tek was looking for a 3-4 year deal, but as I said before, I wouldn't be comfortable signing this guy to anything more then a year or two. I think this is a smart move by the Sox, and it could be a sign that they are looking to grab a younger catcher. I have said from the beginning I wouldn't mind Tek here if he is teaching a young guy, and the Sox could bring the young catcher along slowly, giving him more and more playing time as the season goes on.

There has been no word on how much the 1 year deal was for, but reports suggest that it is no where near the $13.1 million Posada gets every year. I will keep you posted as I hear more.

**UPDATE** Boras denies reports that the Sox have made an offer, though Rob Bradford says they are true. My thought is that they are most likely true, but Boras doesn't want reports of a low balled offer getting out, since it could hurt Tek's already slumping status.

-BMack

No comments:

Post a Comment