Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner -->

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Bill Russell Receives Medal Of Freedom


Obama will name Russell as one of the recipients of a 2010 Medal of Freedom, according to a White House official. Usually I wouldn't take the time to write about this, but I feel like Russell deserves some love. I obviously have never seen him play (other then highlights), but I spent a good part of the day reading about him off the court. I guess anytime there was a race movement in the 60's there was 3 athletes that were always called upon Jim Brown, Muhammad Ali and Bill Russell.

I also like seeing Russell in the spotlight, because I feel a lot of times he is forgotten. There is always talk about who is the greatest player of all-time? People like Jordan, Kobe, and so on are always mentioned, but not the guy with more rings then fingers. I mean how many kids even know who Bill Russell is?

I'm not overly bitter about it, since it was a long time ago, and the game has changed so much, but I do think it's bullshit their isn't a Russel statue in front of the Garden. I really wonder if it is Boston being racist, or just that the Bruins own the stadium.

No comments:

Post a Comment