Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner -->

Monday, December 29, 2008

Brad Penny To Sox


"According to Ken Rosenthal, the Red Sox are close to signing Brad Penny to a one-year deal. The two sides are still hammering out the agreement, and Penny would have to pass a physical. In November, the Dodgers chose Penny's $2MM buyout over his $8.75MM club option.

Penny, 31 in May, dealt with shoulder and forearm pain all year. The Red Sox have a sophisticated system for dealing with pitching shoulders, so it's an interesting match." MLB Trade Rumors

Perfect. I am a huge Brad Penny fan ever since he was on the Marlins. This gives the Sox a reliable (if healthy) 5th starter. Penny is a front line pitcher if he can stay healthy and has play-off experience. If this signing happens it will lead me to my ultimate plan of getting as many 2003 Florida Marlins players as possible. Now we may have Penny, Josh Beckett and Mike Lowell.

***Deal has been signed***
Boston media outlets are reporting that the team has agreed to terms with free-agent pitcher Brad Penny. The right-hander will received a one-year, $5 million deal and can earn an additional $3 million for throwing more than 160 innings.

I think he will regain his all-star form and be a huge addition to a loaded rotation that already contains Daisuke Matsuzaka, Jon Lester, Josh Beckett and Tim Wakefield. My early prediction is that he will be 16-8 with a 3.40 era.


BMack's Thoughts:


Do I like the move...yes, but I can't say I am as pumped as DP seems to be. Penny had two very solid years with the Dodgers collecting 16 win in each season, but last year was terrible going 6-9 with a 6.28 ERA. He was injured in his off year, and if he is healthy he could be a nice 5th starter. Sox fans need to get through their heads that is all he is. He has never pitched in the AL, and rearly makes it through an enitre season. I see this signed a lot like I saw the Colon deal last year. If he can help the Sox win 10-12 games I will be never happy, and even if he doesn't the loss is very minimal. My prediction is that he starts hot, but the stuggles in the 2nd half of the season. Total at best he will have 10 wins.

No comments:

Post a Comment