Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner -->

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Home Court Advantage


At first glance on TV, the Vanderbilt Commodore's home basketball court looks anything but normal. The first time I saw the court earlier this season, I didn't like it. I thought it looked like a highschool, it was odd, confusing and I imagined if I was a fan there, I would be upset about my seat no matter where I was. Then last night during the #1 ranked Tennessee game, which #14 Vandy won 72-69, I realized that the players and the coaches aren't on the side line like a normal court. The benches are located on the baselines, underneath and to the right of the baskets. Its insane that not only does an away team have to come in and play a tough SEC game and listen to 14,316 Commodore fans but, the away players and coaches need to adjust to the fact that the plays are being called from the baseline, not the sideline. Given, for half the game the offense will be down by it's own bench but thats still further from the point guard than when the coach is closer to half court on a normal court. I know that the format of the court doesn't make that much of a difference in the game play but it is awkward, it is an adjustment and its one thing that sticks in the mind of an away team pulling them away from thinking about basketball. Vandy, their used to it. Its nothing different and their is no adjustment needed. Thats a nice, true, home court advantage.

-SB Posts

No comments:

Post a Comment