Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner -->

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Who's Slimier - College BB Coaches or Ticket Scalpers?



Serious question.

Sometimes on the way into the Garden or Fenway Park, I walk by those shady characters in leather jackets and stonewashed jeans hawking overpriced tickets for seats with obstructed views and I feel really dirty. Just being around them leaves me aching for a shower. I'm pretty sure I'd get the same feeling if I spent any quality time with a D1 college basketball coach.

To be fair, I'm not speaking to every coach out there, just 75% of them. I don't want to include the good guys like Coach K, Chris Collins, Johnny Dawkins or Steve Wojciechowski. You know the 75% I'm talking about - Bobby Knight, Eddie Sutton, Jerry Tarkanian, Kelvin Sampson, Quin Snyder, Jim Harrick (Sr and Jr), Bob Huggins, Billy Gillespie, John Calipari, Rick Pitino, etc, etc... Jesus, I think I could go all day naming skeevy coaches.

You know who the shadiest of all is? Braintree, MA's own Jim Calhoun. God I fucking hate this guy. He left his ethics at the door some 36 years ago and hasn't been back to pick them up since. It seems like every two or three years he finds himself in some moral quandary in which he almost always sides with the devil.

UCONN lost a nail biter to struggling Villanova on Saturday. During the game, reserve Curtis Kelly went down with a dislocated elbow and the Huskies found themselves sucking wind down the stretch with limited depth and some foul trouble. UCONN had won their previous ten games and were sitting pretty at 4th in the Big East. With Kelly gone for the season and Marquette nipping at their heels, what better time to reinstate Jerome Dyson who had been suspended for the previous nine games for a failed drug test.

Unbelievable how the rules only apply so long as the player is in no position to help Jimbo's team. This is almost identical to the controversy surrounding Marcus Williams during the 2005/2006 season where he and teammate A.J. Price swiped some laptops from campus dorms. Both were suspended but when it became apparent that UCONN's success depended on their stud point guard, Williams was reinstated while Price was forced to sit out the season. Typical horseshit move by a horseshit coach.

No comments:

Post a Comment